The Canteen By Les Amis
1 Scotts Road , Shaw Centre # 02-10 , Singapore 228208, (65) 6333 8966 , www.lesamis.com.sg
• What’s New A quick facelift, and the ‘narrow’ concept of the former. Lazy Gourmet has morphed into this more well-laid out eatery. With its light brown parquet floor, white table settings and clipboard menu, the only part that belies its casual setup is the selection of Old World wines in built-in racks around the room, overseen by Aby Lim, the Les Amis Group’s former chef sommelier, who is now the manager here.
• The Cuisine Though helmed by the former sous chef of Les Amis, Philip Lee, don’t expect dainty French portions and foie gras, unless it’s their ‘casual’ incantation in the shape of a foie gras burger. Instead, the menu leans heavily in favour of hearty Italian fare like Ground Beef Lasagna, Aglio Olio pasta and the popular Cantina pasta. For starters, the Pesto Soup is a generous helping of crushed basil, pine nuts, bacon and garlic in chicken broth, the Fritto Misto is a light and crispy serving of fried squids, prawns, scallops and even lemon. For mains, opt for Asian favourites like Green Curry Chicken and Hokkien Mee. Such Asian fare found here are purportedly the tried-and-tested formulae that work very well at Café Amis. The Hokkien Mee is moist, from a delectable prawn stock and the sweet belacan and lime served the way it is at local foodstalls. The Donburi Unagi, short grain rice with baked eel, and Hot Udon, served with grilled duck breast and chopped chives in daishi and soyu broth, are culled from Aoki’s famous chef Kunio Aoki. If you don’t mind the strong taste of jackfruit, try the Cempadak Fritters, deep-fried crusted jackfruit with homemade vanilla ice-cream. It’s a wonderful recipe that combines both savoury and sweet, hot and cold.
• Opening hours Monday to Sunday: Lunch from 11.30pm to 3pm (last order); tea from 3pm to 6pm (last order); dinner from 6.30pm to 10pm (last order)
Ngee Ann City Unit 02-11 Ngee Ann City 391 Orchard Road Singapore 238872, Tel: +65 6733 8489 www.marmaladetoast.com.sg
From the ovens of The Marmalade Group, this eatery of an well run chain offers sandwiches and salads with coffee or tea as its mainstay.
Whether you’re keen on a classic grilled chicken Caesar sandwich, or a local invention of tuna, rocket leaves and sambal, its range of sandwiches is freshly prepared each morning, or made to order on request. Marmalade Pantry’s signature cupcakes are available along with familiar desserts, pastries and cakes.
• Opening hours 8am to 8pm daily
Bakerzin (Baker’s Inn)
290 Orchard Road, #02-09 Paragon, (T) 6333 6647, One Fullerton Road, #01-04, (T) 6438 8700 www.bakerzin.com
For the sweet tooths out there, there was much rejoicing when this two outlets opened and new dessert recipes like the Foret Noir (Black Forest) brought joy to us all. To ease the guilt and stuffed stomach after the goodies, Baker’s Inn now offers its own brand of packaged teas.
• Opening hours 10.30am to 10.30pm daily for Paragon outlet; 11.30am to 11pm from Sunday to Thursday, and 11.30am to 1am on Friday and Saturday for One Fullerton outlet.